eat the gingerbread…
hold fast to the JOY!
The baked cookies are soft and the gingerbread spice combination is sharp and lingers after the last bite. Delicious!
- 15 oz all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1-1/2 t cinnamon
- 1-1/2 t ginger
- 1 t allspice
- 1/2 t cloves
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2t salt
- 1/2 c (8 Tablespoons or 4 oz) European like butter (the best you can find)
- 1 3/4 oz Crisco
- 5 oz dark brown sugar
- 7 1/2 fl oz molasses
- 1 egg
- zest of one orange
- Sift together first eight dry ingredients into a bowl and sit aside
- Cream together room temperature butter, Crisco, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add molasses, egg, and orange zest to butter/sugar mixture.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients (mixer on very slow speed) to the above mixture and mix just until combined.
- Wrap dough in parchment and refrigerate overnight. (I froze the dough for week, then thawed in refrigerator overnight before rolling, cutting, and baking)
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees
- This dough is soft enough to roll just out of the refrigerator
- Roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut* as desired; I refrigerated cookies after cutting for 30 minutes prior to baking
- Bake about 7 minutes for regular size cookies; bake 9 minutes for larger cookies
- Store in parchment lined covered tin
* my highest recommendation (my uncompensated opinion) for the 9 1/4 inch tall, 6 1/4 inch wide gingerbread man cookie cutter from CopperGifts.com