I’m from the South. Every day, Mama made cornbread (cornmeal mix, buttermilk, 1egg, drops of water). For years, I didn’t know cornbread other than Mama’s cornbread existed. (I was devastated to find people adding sugar to cornbread!)
Those days are long past, and I seldom make cornbread (even though I DO have my cast iron skillet if needed.) However, taco soup needs cornbread for dippin’.
These were made and consumed at My Friend A’s home; so, I only have an iPhone photo.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c honey
- 4 T butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 c medium grind cornmeal
- 1/4 c course grind cornmeal
- 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 c light brown sugar
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 1 t salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Grease 12 c muffin pan (these stick to the sides) I didn’t use muffin liners because I wanted a crisp edge all around the muffin.
- In bowl, whisk eggs to break up
- Add buttermilk, honey, and butter to eggs.
- In separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir only to combine well. Don’t over mix.
- Pour into muffin wells, about 2/3 full
- Bake approximately 15 minutes, until they test done.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!