The sun will set in about an hour here on the banks of the muddy Mississippi. It’s cooler now….but tomorrow is coming. We are seeing a daily heat index of 100+ in early June.
feel the freeze
Cranberry Orange Sorbet
- 4 cups cold juice from cranberry jam (see recipe below) (this juice, after cooling in refrigerator, was the consistency of chilling jello)
- 2 T honey
- 2 T Grand Marnier
- 1 T superfine sugar
- Combine all ingredients
- Pour into ice cream freezer
- Freeze for 40 minutes; the sorbet will be soft, but frozen.
- Quickly transfer to freezer container and store in freezer.
- This scoops easily directly from the freezer.
This sorbet is rich; a couple of small scoops are both brain-freeze refreshing and filling
(recipe adapted from here)
- 28 ounces cranberries
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 24 ounces granulated sugar
- 24 fluid ounces water
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large pan.
- Place on stove top and bring to a slow simmer.
- After you hear the first cranberry pop (it really does pop; first experience for me!), set your timer for 12 minutes.
- After the twelve minutes, remove pan from heat.
- Pour liquid through strainer (I used a food mill), separating the liquid from the solids.
- approximately 6 cups juice
- approximately 3 cups cranberry jam