…or, more commonly named Val’s Cheese Biscuits
…and, Val has named them Maggie’s Cheese Biscuits
..it’s a tradition….pass it on…..
The cheese crackers are crispy, yet rich with butter and cheese. Don’t skip the light dusting of powdered sugar; it’s great on these crackers.
- 8 oz all purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 8 oz butter, cut into cubes (2 sticks)
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Toss the cold butter cubes into the flour in a medium bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips.
- Lightly toss the mixture with your hands to aerate
- Continue to rub the butter into the flour until the butter is the size of large peas
- Add the grated cheese and toss well
- Continue to mix with your hands until you can squeeze a handful of the mixture and it holds together.
- Pour the lumpy, powdery mixture into a saran lined dish (I used an 8″ cake pan)
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan and refrigerate for an hour
- Preheat oven to 345 degrees
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 4 pieces
- Roll one piece on lightly floured surface to 1/4 ” thick
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheet for about 15 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack to cool
- After completely cooked, dust lightly with sifted powdered sugar