Fall is in the air here in TN; I saw frost on the neighbor’s rooftop this Sunday morning.
From: SWEET LIFE (Berkley Books, September 2008)
Recipe courtesy: Debbie Davis, Kamuela Coffee N’ Cones
Yields: 2 dozen
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup instant Kona espresso powder
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Cut parchment paper to fit large cookie sheet
- In a large bowl, blend dry ingredients for biscotti. Add eggs and blend just to mix.
- Add melted butter into biscotti mixture. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the macadamia nuts. Continue to blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into a log and lay it on the parchment paper. Roll it out to approximately 5” wide and ½” thick.
- Shape into a rectangle.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut biscotti into even horizontal strips, approximately 1” wide. Lay each biscotti on its side on the cookie sheet, leaving space between each one.
- Bake at 350º F for another 10 minutes, then lower the oven heat to 200º F and continue baking for another 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- ½ cup powdered confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kona coffee, cooled
- Mix confectioner’s sugar with 1 tablespoon of cooled Kona coffee. Stir until consistency is a little thicker than maple syrup, adding the remaining coffee as necessary.
- Place glaze in a plastic sandwich bag and squeeze the glaze to one end. Cut off the tip of the corner of the bag.
- Glaze top of biscotti in a zigzag pattern. Let the glaze cool completely before serving. Store any remaining glazed biscotti in an airtight container.